HISTORY OF H. ATTRILL & SONS (continued)
In 1954 a Captain Jessel gave the
yard an order for a 19' fast-launch for his use
between Portsmouth and Bembridge at weekends.
This boat was designed by Fred Cooper a famous
local designer who had designed 'BLUEBIRD'.
These boats were such a success that 6 were built
in the yard.
Fred Cooper also designed a Hamilton jet-drive
craft for the Dowty Group. The yard made the
mould for these small fast craft, and also the
The next large building job was a Reg Freeman
designed 57' motor-yacht called 'LAILIA'
for a Mr. Aubrey Jones which was luxuriously
fitted out. The vessel's home is now in Germany.
The whole work-force was getting larger. The
Nissen huts were removed and replaced with larger
buildings, and part of St. Helens Quay was rented
for use. Nothing compared though for the next job
in 1958, which was to convert an old 97' motor-yacht
into a 100' yacht to look like a Baltic Trader.
This old yacht was built for Sir Thomas Beecham,
and named 'MAHCEEB' (Beecham - backwards).
During the Second World War this ship was
lying in Denmark. Her copper bottom sheathing had
been removed by the Germans. The yard renewed the
copper, put on a raked bow, deck-houses and
interior and fitted a new super-structure. The
whole vessel was luxuriously fitted out,
including a crane for a car and launch. The owner
was a Mr. Scrutton and the vessel was renamed 'APHRA'.
ROSE' was sold and in 1960 the yard built a
larger vessel, named 'HENRY ROSE 11' to
assist with the growing tourist trade. She was 60'
long, of timber construction, carried 150 people
and had a bar and lounge. She was designed by Reg
Freeman. Unfortunately, because of tidal
restrictions into Bembridge Harbour she could not
be used to her full potential, and was sold to an
operator in Brixham. She is still operating in
the West Country.
In 1961 a very fast sailing yacht was built to
a Robert Clarke design, for Commander Carr. She
was 37' long, built of pitch-pine and oak and
From the late 50's to the end of the 60's, 5
Illingworth & Primrose designed yachts were
built, ranging from 27' - 36' 'BRAGANZA'
for the Royal Navy, 'SARIE MARAIS' for the
Royal Marines, 'MIDLAND MERLE' for the
Midland Bank, also 'RED JACKET' and 'CLAYMORE'
who were shipped to America.
Top of page