HISTORY OF H. ATTRILL & SONS (continued)
In 1953 the
yard converted an old admiralty 72' M.L. which
was in an appalling state. The ship was gutted
and refitted to the owner's design. Alterations
were completed successfully. On the owner's
arrival at his home in Venezuela, which he had
reached via Italy, he sent a message saying that
he did not have to put a spanner to the ship at
all. Her name was 'BARRACUDA'.
Passenger work with the Holiday Camps was a
summer job, and, with this in mind they built a
41'. Motor-Launch to Commander Peter Thornycroft's
design. He was at that time on a ship in
Portsmouth and they wanted a craft similar to his
fathers boat 'KING DUCK'. They named the
vessel 'HENRY ROSE' after their parents.
Little did they realise that the building of this
vessel was a turning point in yacht construction.
A Mr. Patrick de Laslo for whom they had been
fitting out small launches, asked if he could
borrow 'HENRY ROSE' to use as a mould to
make a fibre-glass plug. As he wanted a slightly
different shape, the brothers suggested that that
he got Com. Thornycroft to design a vessel from
which they would produce a female mould. It took
a lot of convincing, but in the end Mr. de Laslo
gave them the go ahead.
In 1954 the
mould was constructed and taken to Langstone
Harbour by boat, and then to part of a factory at
Fratton. This part was called Halmatic, a now
famous G.R.P. moulder. It was a great success.
The glass-fibre hull was towed back to Bembridge
Harbour by HENRY ROSE and fitted out at
the yard. She was called 'PERPETUA'.
Brother Douglas became its skipper and took
her to Denmark where the Duke of Edinburgh had a
trip in her. The 'PERPETUA' had the largest G.R.P.
hull in the world at that time.
The great success of the Attrill mould
resulted in a larger order of a 63'. mould. This
became the vessel 'BEBE GRANDE' which was
owned by a South African, Jack Gerber. The vessel
was completed by Tough of Teddington. A stretched
version was also built later.
Due to the
increase in trade with the ferry, boats on the
beach and the demand for trips to view the liners,
it was decided to build another ferry boat to
assist in transferring passengers from a holiday
camp near Priory Bay onto the 'HENRY ROSE'.
This ferry boat was called 'WHITE ROSE',
which is still in commission to this day.
Top of page
Previous page Next page