HISTORY OF H. ATTRILL & SONS (continued)
Another two Nissen huts were bought and, again,
cement was laid by hand. They purchased a three
wheel saw as they had no power. The lower wheel
had a handle, so while one person turned the saw,
the other cut the planks. All drilling was done
by hand. The boat was powered by diesel, and had
good sailing qualities. It was reported the owner
paid for the boat on one night's sprat fishing.
It was named after his wife, 'GERTRUDE'.
Having changed its name three times the boat
is now a yacht called 'ELLA BELLA' and is
presently in Spain.
In 1947 with the Ferry being part of the
business, they decided to build a Motor Ferry.
This was an 18'. open launch, powered by an 8hp.
Stuart Turner engine. The launch's name was 'GOLDEN
DAWN'. (She is now a yachts tender).
Several dinghies were made for the Ryde Rowing
Club, and a fleet of sailing dinghies were made
for the Ventnor Sailing Club. The boats are still
around the Solent area.
From the late forties into the early fifties
many dinghies, scows and canoes were produced,
and two 21' Clinker sailing boats designed by Alf
Feltham's were built. One was owned by Earl
During this time the next large yacht was
built for Col. Johnstone and was designed by a
local designer, Harry Jacobs. The third brother,
Douglas, became its Skipper, and with the name 'FLYING
SPUR' it was perhaps their proudest yacht.
The keel was of lead and cast on the beach. The
interior was panelled in oak and she had a teak
laid deck. It was a fine sailing craft, and is
now owned by an American.
Head room in a Nissen hut was a problem.
Luckily 'FLYING SPUR' was built in the
summer which enabled them to remove the
corrugated iron roof and work under the sky. By
this time they had power, which was from an old
Lister petrol paraffin engine and dynamo through
old car batteries. Some years later they managed
to get onto the mains by guaranteeing a large
power usage, which meant using all the current
they could to get up to the Electric Light
Companies minimum requirement.
Harry Jacobs also designed for the yard two
very special yachts, one 'BETSINDA' was
about 22' long, and a very fast day-sailer, and 'M-RENEE'
who was 30' long. She was designed with a very
shallow draft and centre-board as she was to be
sailed on the River Thames.
In 1950 they bought an ex-naval gig, converted
and powered her to undertake the job of laying
moorings and marks. This was a new innovation to
the area and she was named 'FROLIC'.
Top of page
Previous pageNext page